Fit Friday: Going to an extreme to regain balance
Pretty sure I can speak on behalf of most Canadians when I say that we recently welcomed spring with open arms. Time to say buh-bye to bulky winter jackets, cold coffees the second you step outside and questioning why you live in a place where it physically hurts your face to walk to work. With a new season comes the perfect opportunity to do a few things
- Revisit your goals for the year: are you working towards them? Do they need to be altered? Keep yourself in check!
- Purge old items: clothing, unhealthy pantry items, unwanted energy, etc.
- Try on a bikini in excitement for the summer (only to potentially realize that dammmmn, you aren't quite beach-body ready)
Number 3 was a real wake-up call for me... If you aren't exactly where you want to be yet, there is plenty of time to hit the gym, eat better and if all else fails - throw on a sexy little kimono and rock it like the fashionista that you are. (Also - you are gorgeous no matter what and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. What matters most is how you feel about yourself, not a number on a scale)
As much as I try to live a healthy lifestyle and workout on a regular basis, I'm only human and sometimes fall off the wagon. In March we filmed a wicked special in California for E! that will air sometime in May (more info and blog posts to come) where we hopped around the state in search of the most unique places to glamp (glam + camping = glamping) and what to do when you're there. It was an amazing experience but my fitness routine and eating habits all went flying out the window, instead replaced with long car rides to and from shoot locations and delicious local wines that were begging to be enjoyed. However, I did sneak in a few workouts but unfortunately that didn't change the fact that my pants fit a little more snug than I'd like when I got home and overall felt very sluggish.
Sometimes I need to do something EXTREME to get back on track and regain balance, so I decided to do a 3-day juice cleanse from my dear friend Ruth Talf's Fresh Restaurant to reset my system and shove it full of nutrients with their Detox & Boost cleanse.
- On Wednesday morning's I get my ass handed to me at the gym by Eva Redpath, and I certainly was not going to give that up just because I was juicing... So Day 1 kicked into high gear with a sweat session and an immunity shot (ginger, lemon, grapefruit, lemon, grapefruit, garlic, himalyan pink salt, echinacea, oregano oil). Spicy & delish.
Rest of the day went great as far as sticking to the juice cleanse, until I realized I had committed to a second workout during the evening... A spinning class. Looking back, it was maybe not the smartest decision I've ever made, but also probably not the stupidest. I went, sweat an embarrassing amount, and went home to devour the rest of the juices. To protect my muscles from atrophy and depleted nutrients, I supplemented each day with 1 scoop of protein powder.
- By mid-day, I was feeling the detox effects... Imagine the worst hangover. Yep. That's what I felt like, which was inconvenient since I had to film a story for E!... I couldn't focus and felt very weak, so my amazing producer ran and got me a coffee to hopefully bring me back to life (and so that I could do my job). I instantly felt like a new woman. What I thought were detox symptoms was most probably severe withdrawal from caffeine. For the sake of my crew and my on-camera guests, I cheated on my juice cleanse with coffee.
- Best part of day 2 was enjoying the last juice of the day, which was both filling and felt like a treat. The "Mad Chocolate" has raw cacao, maca, mesquite, dates, goji berries, raw almonds and hemp hearts in it.
- Woke up feeling energized and ready for my last day! Every time I do a juice cleanse, I realize how much I miss the act of chewing food. An all liquid diet all the time would not bode well for me... But I am really proud for committing to my cleanse and following through (with the slight modification of coffee and 1 scoop of protein powder daily).
- Had the day off from work which was really nice for the last day since I had to pee pretty much every hour on the hour and felt a bit out of it. Both of those effects are normal though!
- My system was stock full of nutrients by the end of the cleanse, because each juice contains 3 pounds or 10 servings of fruits and veggies!
Overall thoughts: Be cautious if you are going to be working out during any type of cleanse, your health is the most important thing, so be smart. Also, the activated charcoal lemonade will made your number 2's black as the night, it's totally normal so don't freak out (too much). For all my fellow coffee lovers, taper down your caffeine intake a few days before the cleanse so you don't turn into a monster during the cleanse.
For anyone wanting to make a juice at home or see Ruth in action, below is a segment we did together for E! a few months back.